What are city hall office hours?

Monday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm

Tuesday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm

Wednesday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm

Thursday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm

Friday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm

What are the snow fall rules?

Any possibility of measurable snow accumulation (2 inches) and a snow alert will automatically occur and all on-street parking shall be prohibited on both side of the street.  Vehicles parked on the street are subject to ticketing and towing.  Parking may resume when streets have been cleared of snow completely from cub to curb. 

Who do I contact to rent a park shelter?

The park shelter is available on a first come first serve bases.

Does the City of Colton have an Animal Ordiance?

Yes, please refer to Chapter 5.02 under the ordinance section. 

How do I get water/sewer sevices

The City of Colton requires a $125 deposit for water and sewer hookup.

$100 of the deposit is refundable to you when you move and your account is in good standing.  You are required to complete an application (which you can download on the Forms Page) for service.  Please stop at City Hall located at 309 E 4th St during regular office house to set p water and sewer services.

How do I pay my water/sewer bill?

The City of Colton Utilities bill can be paid in a variety of ways for your convenience:

  • By mail to Po Box 66 Colton SD 57018
  • In person at City Hall (there is a utility slot just inside the front door for after hours payments)
  • Via your personal banking’s on-line bill pay program
  • You may also pay by credit/debit card either in person or by phone at 605/446-3811 (additional fees may apply)

Law Enforcement

The City of Colton contracts Law Enforcement with the Minnehaha County Sheriff Department

For Emergency Service dial 911

Fro Non-Emergency Service dial 605/367-7000

What do I need a building permit for and how do I obtain one?

Building permits are required on all new construction, home remodeling, re-shingling-re-siding, lower level completions, home additions, flatwork, fences and storage sheds.  

 A site plan to scale is required before approval can be given. 

Building permits can be obtained from City Hall during regular office hours. 

Please remember to call South Dakota One Call – 811 at least 48 hours before doing any digging.

 **New construction could take up to one week for approval.  Please plan accordingly.

What is the cities policy on Fireworks?

The City of Colton allows the discharge of firework from July 3rd – July 5th from the hours of 11:00 am – 11:00 pm.